If you have diabetes, this means your body cannot manually produce insulin, and therefore impairs the body's ability to convert sugars, starches, and other foods into energy. Practicing proper diabetic foot care can prevent severe damage to your heart, eyes, kidney, nerves, and of course, your feet. While there is no cure for diabetes, visiting your podiatrist Berkshire Podiatry Center can help you avoid serious complications and help you enjoy a pain-free, active lifestyle.
Healthy Habits For Your Feet
- Inspect - all areas in between including the top, sides, soles, and heels. If you are physically unable, use a mirror or ask for help.
- Wash - with mild soap and warm water every day. Diabetic feet are sensitive to temperature, so check the water with your fingers between you dip them in.
- Dry - and make sure you don't miss a drop. Infections tend to develop in moist areas.
- Moisturize - with lotion or oil if skin feels dry. Do not use between your toes.
Most people can prevent serious foot problems by following these simple steps. Because diabetes is a disease that affects different parts of the body, successful management requires a team approach between you and our podiatrists in Wyomissing, PA and Morgantown, PA.
Tips for Proper Diabetic Foot Care
- Schedule routine medical exams - these include foot checks at every visit and testing your A1, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels.
- Monitor your blood sugar daily.
- Exercise regularly.
- Eat a well-balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Berkshire Podiatry Center can educate you on proper diabetic foot care and teach you the importance of adopting healthy habits and maintaining them daily. That can help detect problems such as minor cuts or blisters, which can lead to ulcers.
If you have diabetes and experience symptoms of nerve damage, circulation problems, or infections in your legs, feet, or ankles, schedule a consultation with Berkshire Podiatry Center, in Wyomissing, PA and Morgantown, PA, to discuss your treatment options. Visit our website to learn more about the services we provide.