Ankle pain can make your life difficult, complicating everyday tasks as simple as standing in line or walking around the office. In fact, ankle pain can make you feel so unstable on your feet to the point where you just want to stay on the couch all day. Fortunately, the podiatrists here at Berkshire Podiatry Center in both Wyomissing and Morgantown, PA, offer several effective treatments for ankle pain. Read on to learn more!
Ankle pain: symptoms, causes, and treatment options
If you have ankle pain, you may experience signs and symptoms, such as:
- Intense, recurring pain on the outside of your ankle
- Loss of stability while standing
- Difficulty walking on uneven surfaces
- Ankle swelling, tenderness, and stiffness
Ankle pain can be acute or chronic, and can be caused by many factors. Some of the common reasons include:
- Joint inflammation or arthritis
- Bone fracture
- Sprained ankle
- Tendon inflammation or a torn tendon
- An injury to a nerve passing in your ankle
You can try to relieve ankle pain by placing ice on your ankle several times during the day in combination with over-the-counter anti-inflammatory/pain medications to relieve swelling and discomfort. It may also be helpful to elevate your ankle to avoid putting weight on it.
For chronic moderate-to-severe ankle pain, it’s best to seek out the services of a podiatrist. Here at Berkshire Podiatry Center, treatments for ankle pain include:
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling and pain
- Physical therapy and stretches to maintain flexibility and mobility
- Steroid medications to decrease swelling and inflammation
- Ankle braces or walking casts to increase stability and support
Need relief from ankle or foot pain? Give us a call
To learn more about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for ankle or foot pain, call the podiatrists here at Berkshire Podiatry Center in Wyomissing and Morgantown, PA. Dial (610) 373-4154 for the Wyomissing office, or (610) 286-6340 for the Morgantown location.